Friday, June 29, 2012

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done. - Andy Rooney

I flew from New Orleans to Miami, Miami to Madrid, Madrid to Jerez, and took a taxi to Cadiz. I arrive on Tuesday afternoon to the Residencia where I, the students, and some faculty will be staying for the month. I go to the common area where they have wifi and I try turning on my laptop. It tries to start up but shuts off immedately. It then cycles through trying to turn itself on but turns off, over and over again. I think its maybe the plug, the prong adapter, or the battery. Nothing. Luckily, there were some people who are leading some high school students on a program who spoke English and they told me of a computer store that was really close to the residencia. I go over to the store and the guy tries different plugs, batteries, etc. and tells me that its probably the motherboard and there is nothing he can do.


Just fucking great, this laptop was working last week in the states just fine. But as soon as I arrive in Spain, it turns into a fucking 10 pound paper weight. I had to lug this heavy laptop through three different airports and decides to quit on me THE EXACT MOMENT I arrive to start working on this summer abroad program. Not only do I have to deal with being in a new place, in a new culture that I don't know much of the language, I have to deal with the stress of a dead computer and the possibility of not being able to do my job well. Talk about culture shock!


Luckily, the director of the Residencia was kind enough to let me borrow his laptop to check emails. And my Director came in to Cadiz today to help kick start the summer program and he came with another office laptop. So now I feel like I can get back on track and do what I have to do for the summer program.


So that is why it has taken me this long to update my blog. I don't read many blogs but I believe that blogging about not updating said blog is a cliche but I'm happy to contribute and keep the tradition alive. I have, however, been writing everyday in my notebook and I hope to transcribe previous days on here very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment